STANFORD AVENUE PARKING
Back-In Angle Parking has been installed for the south side of Stanford Avenue between Junipero Serra Boulevard and Raimundo Way.
The back-in parking:
- Allows the addition of the multi-use trail on the north side of Stanford Avenue, a new sidewalk on the south side, bike lanes on the roadway and retain 45 parking spaces between JSB and Raimundo Way.
Improve motorist visibility, increasing safety for bikes and pedestrians:
- As motorists exit their parking space, they are able to see cyclists traveling in the adjacent bike lane.
- Car doors open in a manner that does not interfere with bicyclists and directs car passengers towards the sidewalk, away from traffic.
Improve loading and unloading:
- Car trunks are adjacent to the sidewalk, outside the traveled roadway.
- Car doors do not open onto roadway.
- Motorists will not be required to blindly back-out of their parking space when exiting.
- Cyclists and other motorists will clearly be able to see automobile signals as vehicles prepare to back into a parking space.